Earlier this summer I attended my sorority’s convention in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida. It was an amazing opportunity and I learned so much. From my convention, one person stuck out to me, and that was the keynote speaker Lindsay Boccardo. I thought Lindsay was an amazing public speaker and after I heard her keynote speech at the welcome banquet, I actually attended two of her workshops and one of them was about “High Achiever Land”.
Lindsay described that in “”High Achiever Land”, we like having many responsibilities, we never say no, we enjoy having people look up to us, and we put others before we put ourselves. Once we accomplish something, we find a new task, work hard to achieve it, and then accomplish that task. Us high achievers do this over and over and over and Lindsay said that one day we are going to burn out if we already aren’t.
As I listened to Lindsay talk about “High Achiever Land”, I started to get concerned that this lady was in my head and knew everything about me or something because that is exactly how I feel all the time. I am always doing more and adding more to my plate and setting new goals because I want to be better and I want to do anything and everything that I put my mind to.
So after listening to Lindsay, I accepted that I live in High Achiever Land. And maybe as you are reading this post you are thinking to yourself “wow I live in High Achiever Land also”. Or you might be reading this post and thinking “wow this girl is nuts”.
Personally, I don’t think that I am going to move out of “High Achiever Land” any time soon, but Lindsay shared a few tools that might help with not getting burnt out:
- Celebrate your accomplishments! Call your mom, get drinks with your friends, or treat yourself to ice cream. Just do something!
- Stop trying to fix everyone’s problems. You can be a good friend and be there and listen, but know that you do not need to fix these problems.
- Say no. And know that it is okay to say no.
- Take care of yourself and do things for yourself. Take a “me” day. Don’t check your email for a day. Get a pedicure. Just do something for yourself.
- Get some rest. Know when you have had enough and go to sleep. You aren’t going to be productive at 2am anyways.
Thanks to Lindsay, I was able to understand that I live in “High Achiever Land” and that people are like me and that they are there too! Realizing this was a vital step for myself in Finding Balance.
How do you find balance? Comment below and let me know!
If you want to learn more about Lindsay or learn more about “High Achiever Land” visit her website. She is awesome.