I’m sure you’ve heard this before, but I will say it again. If you have the opportunity to, you need to study abroad. Studying abroad is an amazing experience and I highly recommend it. At no other time in your life will you have the opportunity to pack up your life for a couple months, move to another country, take unique classes for college credit, and immerse yourself in a different country’s culture.
I studied abroad in the summer of 2016 right after I finished up my freshman year of college. I decided to study in Viterbo, Italy, which is a little town about 2 hours north of Rome and 2 hours south of Florence. I only went abroad for the first summer session and then I decided to travel for 2 weeks around Europe afterwards. If I could do it again though, I would recommend going for the entire summer or a semester. 5 weeks was not enough time.
During my time abroad, I lived inside the city of Viterbo while taking an introduction to Italian class, and an Italian architecture class at the Universita Delgi Studi della Tuscia. I learned so much about Italy in these classes and I thought my Italian professors were amazing.
What’s great about Europe, is that once you get there, it is so cheap to get all over the continent. During my time abroad, I flew to Athens, Greece for only 59 euros. The trains are also fairly cheap. From Viterbo to Rome, the train was only 5 euros. And the fast train from Rome to Venice was only 25 euros. You can even stay in nice hostels in different cities around Europe for a cheap price. My hostel in Greece was only 39 euros a night and it was a very clean and comfortable place.
If I haven’t convinced you yet, here are the top 10 reasons why you should study abroad:
- As a college student, you have no baggage. You don’t have a family of your own yet and so you don’t have to worry about anyone but yourself.
- There is no better way to fully immerse yourself in a culture.
- The food. That should be a deciding factor on its own.
- You will get to see the world. Again, once you are in Europe, its cheap and easy to get to other locations.
- Experience other types of education.
- Potentially learn another language.
- Gain independence and learn more about yourself.
- Be spontaneous and adventurous at any time.
- Learn to appreciate your home, university, and family more.
- You will get to make friends and meet people from all over the world.
After studying abroad, I realized how much I love to travel and experience different cultures all over the world. I have so many more places that I would love to go to one day, and I know that traveling is a good way to help find my balance.
How do you find balance? Comment below and let me know!